Monday, August 23, 2010

Sailing, Day 9...

Well, we have hit the big waves now! “Big” is a relative term, of course – rumor has it that we are hitting about 3 meter waves from the side, which means the ship rolls quite a lot (for those of you that don’t know, the Africa Mercy is formerly a Danish rail ferry and is designed to right herself rapidly when she is rolling, so instead of a gentle rocking from side to side like on cruise ships, it is a quick snap from one side to the other). Not much sleep was had last night as things were continually shifting and occasionally falling in our cabin and in neighboring cabins (which we can hear through the wall). I breathed a sigh of relief this morning when I got in my classroom and saw minimal damage – however, after devotions, we went to our room and I couldn’t open the door! After passing my kids off to another teacher, I discovered that 2 of the desks in my room (all of my desks are heavy wooden 2-person desks) had fallen over and were holding the door closed. After some shoving timed with the rolling of the ship, I managed to get the door open but had to get another teacher to help me lift the desks up – I would get them halfway and then the ship would roll and knock them back over! At least the kids are in good spirits though many of them have said they didn’t get much sleep either.

It’s going to be a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers